High-performance heat recovery ventilation systems
We all know fresh air is good for us and balanced ventilation systems ensure that stale moist air in a home is ducted out at the same rate as fresh, filtered air from the outside is delivered. The ‘lungs’ of a home, these highly engineered ventilation systems can significantly reduce the humidity, CO2 levels and VOC’s inside a home. Advanced filters help to remove allergens and pollutants from the intake air while the lower indoor humidity can inhibit the growth of viruses, dust mites and bed bugs. The system is continuously extracting air from "wet rooms'' such as kitchens, bathrooms and laundries and delivering filtered, fresh air into living rooms and bedrooms. Of course you can open your windows and doors, but to ensure air quality the system will operate continuously year-round.
With our premium SystemAir, Stiebel Eltron and Zehnder European designed and manufactured heat-recovery systems, in winter the heat from the exhaust air is recovered and pre-heats the incoming fresh air, while the summer mode assists with disposing of excess energy by bypassing the heat exchanger.
Using minimal energy and providing exceptional health and comfort outcomes, balanced mechanical heat-recovery systems also described as MVHR (mechanical ventilation - heat recovery) systems have become standard in high performance and certified Passive Houses. In contrast, a positive pressure system pushes warm air outside without recovering any of the energy first, and can potentially push damp air into the building fabric of the home.
MVHR systems have super-efficient EC fans, and typically use less energy than a 100 Watt light bulb to run, and can recover more energy than they take to operate. In addition, the resulting drier air in the building is easier and cheaper to heat. Involve us early in your house design phase so we can optimise your ventilation system.
What we do:
Enveloped is an authorised and experienced installer of a range of quality European balanced heat-recovery ventilation systems. We have expertise in product selection and install for Passive house and high performance house projects.
Other options to consider:
- We carefully plan and design every system we install to achieve optimal performance within the home. Contact us for indicative pricing or a consultation and we’ll help you select a system to suit your requirements.
- Selecting ducting is just as important as the fan unit itself. We install a range of round or rectangular, smooth core duct systems which are anti-static, noise attenuating, and accessible for cleaning. Each room has a dedicated duct back to the primary attenuator, eliminating potential ‘cross-talk’ noise. Provide us your house plans and we will send a quotation and engineered plan for your chosen system.
- Pay a deposit and your system will be ordered.
- We will work with the builder, and the designer or architect to ensure the system is properly designed and installed, and commissioned in your home.
Other options to consider:
- Custom ventilation grills: We can also manufacture custom grills to suit premium builds so you can select a design and colour that suits your style.
- MVHR systems can be incorporated with ducted heating and air conditioning systems to reduce the number of visible grills that are seen in the home.
- We can also supply and install decentralised ventilation, eliminating the need for ducting. This is ideal for small units and apartments where space is a premium, while still maintaining heat-recovery benefits.
- We recommend you replace your ventilation filters every 6 - 12 months to keep your system at optimal performance. You can purchase these directly from Enveloped and we will send them to you.
- Design needs to allow for ducting installation, external wall or roof vents, and the central unit location, ideally within the thermal envelope. Although there are no special electrical requirements to run the unit, it does need a drainage outlet for condensation. Contact the team at Enveloped for sound advice at the beginning of each project.
Zehnder ventilation systems are used in high performance homes all over the world renowned for their performance and quality. The directors of Enveloped were involved in importing a Zehnder system for the first Certified Passive House in Glendowie, Auckland in 2013, and they have also used it in their own Certified Passive House, Homestar 10 build in 2015. Zehnder offers a wide range of decentralised, and centralised heat-recovery systems.